Monday, March 21, 2011

My Dog ate my Homework!


This book is really fun! It is a collection of silly poems that both children and adults will find amusing. Here is an example of the title poem.

My Dog Ate My Homework
My dog ate my homework. That mischievous pup got hold of my homework and gobbled it up. My dog ate my homework. It's gonna be late. I guess that the teacher will just have to wait. My dog ate my homework. He swallowed it whole. I shouldn't have mixed it with food in his bowl.
--Kenn Nesbitt

As you can see the poems are really fun and can get students engaged. Poem units can be a challenge sometimes because the children either love poetry or hate it. Usually there is no happy medium, but incorporating this text can break that cycle. This collection of poems can help children see that poetry can portray even the silliest of emotions. That makes the reading and writing of such poems, a really fun experience for all!

4 comments:

  1. Jenn,
    This book seems to be a good introduction book to a poetry lesson for the whole class. If the students struggle writing poems themselves, writing a class poem would involve everyone and their ideas. That way no one student in the class feels insecure about writing poetry and they wont feel as if their ideas are "dumb". The whole class could think of one word and the teacher could weave around those words. Overall I think poetry is a great way for students to express themselves and their creativity. I enjoy poetry myself, so both the students and I would enjoy this!

    Miranda S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miranda,
    I too think a group poem would be a fantastic activity to start a unit on poetry. Poetry can be a difficult form of writing for many students, and creating a fun group poem can get everyone’s creative juices flowing. Then each child can graduate to creating their own poems independently. The way you can make this activity more engaging for each student is to have them writing their own poems and then present them through a digital story. This way they can share their poem with the whole class and have images to go along with the words, therefore making the activity more meaningful for the whole class.
    Thank you so much for posting!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel this book is a perfect way to introduce poetry into a classroom. I feel that it is specifically directed for boys, maybe I am wrong. Would there be any books of this genre focused more for girls? Either way, both girls and boys can connect to this book being that many have used this excuse before, including myself. I will also be looking for this book for a poetry based lesson, as well as many other similar books. Thank you!
    - Elsie. C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting Elsie! I am so happy this you are going to use this text, that is wonderful that you want to use this book for your poetry lesson. That makes me so happy and I do not think you will regret it.
    I have actually used this book and both boys and girls enjoy the poems, because they are all reflect everyday experiences both genders can relate to.
    Good Luck!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete